Monday, January 24, 2011

Powerful Words

I went to an auction this weekend with the Mister's mom, who is less like a mom and more like a cool older sister. Anyway, as we were wandering around she saw someone she knew. The person asked, "Is this your daughter?" She smiled, and said, "No, she is my soon-to-be daughter-in-law."  It was nothing more than the truth, but it mellllllted my heart.

Being engaged and planning a wedding feels real to me. I guess I didn't realize it felt real to anyone else, though. I mean, we haven't been engaged that long, and it would have been easy for her to say I was her son's girlfriend, but she didn't She said I was her soon-to-be daughter-in-law. She made me part of the family.

And I liked it.

Isn't it funny how just a few words spoken out loud to a stranger can make your day?

I love my soon-to-be family-in-law. Especially the "cool older sister" ;)

1 comment:

  1. This is a relationship you will want to have for the rest of your life. It is not always an easy one, you often have to work on it. Good start I'd say!

    ReplyDelete