Friday, January 7, 2011

First Five Questions of 2011

It's Friday again! I'm a little apprehensive today, because this is the last Friday of my twenties. The last weekend of my twenties. Yes, in merely a few days I will turn (gulp) thirty. I know. Many a woman has survived the milestone and lived to tell about it. I'm just definitely NOT excited about it! I had somewhat of a minor meltdown when I turned twenty-six, my worst birthday to date, and I'm trying to keep the mindset that it can't be worse than twenty-six was. I have some small plans with my family and my LOVE this weekend, and hopefully I can stay distracted long enough to weather this storm they call thirty. Wish me luck.

Now, what you're really waiting for....five question Friday.

1. What is your current favorite book, and why?
I don't really have a "favorite" book. I read a book and I either like it or I don't, and I usually never read it again. I also don't read very often, so it's hard to come up with anything. I know. As a former English teacher and a person who holds a BS in English you were expecting more. Sorry to disappoint. I'd just rather write than read, so when I have free time I'm more likely writing than reading. Next question!

2. Do you go to the dentist regularly?
Goodness no. I used to when I was a kid, but not anymore. I HATE the dentist. I hate it. I love MY dentist, but I hate his profession! It's ridiculously expensive to go, and when I do go all the hygenist does is bitch about how it's CLEARLY been more than six months since I was last there. I want to tell her she CLEARLY didn't see my last bill or maybe she'd understand! If I have a toothache or a broken tooth (darn you, Milky Way!) I will go in, but otherwise I pretty much do my best keeping them clean and healthy.


3. What is your worst memory from High School?
Ugh. I have plenty of bad memories from high school, but it's kind of like a bad relationship. It's been over so long they don't really bother me anymore. If you're going to force me to drudge something up, though, lemme think.......

Well there was my first heartbreak. It was my first puppy love heart-break, though, and even though I still pined after Mister Chubster for a while afterward, in hindsight it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Then there was my biggest heartbreak. Oh my Lord. I was usually the "breaker" in my little high school courtships, so when out of nowhere this boy who I thought hung the moon just dropped me like a bad habit, I couldn't handle it. Oh my goodness. Tears. Weight loss. Misery. Driving by his house with my bff. Calling him again and again (wouldn't I have LOVED to have Facebook then??!!) I thought there was no way I'd ever be able to go on. He was the sweetest of any boyfriend I'd had, and he made me feel pretty darn special. He was also the first one with his own vehicle, which happened to be a truck, so that just sweetened the deal. It took graduating and losing contact with him for years to really deeply get over him. I still think of him when I see Armageddon (or hear Don't Wanna Miss a Thing) or Hope Floats (or any of that soundtrack) and remember the short time that he was my world. If only I could've known how happy I'd be ten years down the road, it might have made it a lot easier :)

Finally there was this girl. Yeah. I won't mention her name, for fear she still lives and might be spying on me as we speak.....but it sounded kinda like MY name. And she HATED me. She was what we'd call "gothic" or "emo" now. You know, knee-high boots, purple and black hair, Kurt Cobain obsession. She had a gang. It was called Big Deloris (just kidding, I just love working that movie line into a conversation). But she did have a posse. One of her "posse" was actually a nice girl I had gone to school with for years. In PE one day during a soccer drill this particular girl said, "What, you think you're better than me?" (IN COMPLETE jest) I laughed and said, "OH yeah I do!" Well a third posse member over-heard this, reported it to "ah hem" and I found myself shoved up against a locker by my neck before English class. I ducked out of her hold and into Mrs. Argie's room, shaken. Mrs. Argie was oblivious. I went to the "bathroom" and stopped to tell my mom what happened. She took me straight to the principal who promised to "talk" to her (but never did). Yay. She moved away eventually and boy was I relieved. BLAH!


4. What do you hope to be remembered for in your life?
More than anything I just want the people close to me to remember me for who I was as a mommy and wife (soon!). I love being home with Chloe, and I just pray one day she looks back on her childhood and sincerely believes I did my best, that I was a great mom, and that I taught her things and handled situations in a way that was positive and uplifting to her. The footprint I leave on this Earth will be small, but I hope the footprint I leave on my family will be bigger than the Grand Canyon :)

5. Are you superstitious or do you have any superstitions?
I'm not a really superstitious person, but I keep them in mind. I try not to utter things like, "Could this day get any worse," or "I sure hope it doesn't rain today." I knock on wood. I try not to break mirrors, and sometimes I send chain e-mails just because I'm having one of those days in which I don't want to tempt anything. Cover all my bases, you know? ;) I still haven't told you about my THOROUGH prayers as a child and into adulthood. Soon my friends. Soon.

Have a happy Friday, and don't forget to say a little prayer for my sanity this weekend ;)

2 comments:

  1. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/five-question-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. I will follow!

    ReplyDelete