Monday, March 28, 2011

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello

Facebook, despite its sometimes bad-rap, can be an amazing tool. I have family and friends around the country, around the world, even, that I do not get to see. It's been a great way to re-connect and stay connected with people who are special to me.

Recently, I got in touch with my one of my cousins and her kids (because my mom was the youngest child, my cousins are HER age, and their kids are the ones I grew up with). It has been so nice to be able to see their pictures and communicate with them on a more regular basis, since I haven't seen most of the kids in fifteen years or more.

A few weeks ago I found out that one of my cousins is going to be deployed to Afghanistan next month. Through the pictures and updates, I knew that his family in Texas had said their goodbyes and did not plan to see him again until he returns.

I began seeing information for his deployment ceremony in Northern Missouri on a Monday, and couldn't get it off my mind. I was pretty sure his immediate family wouldn't be able to be there, and though he has some family here in Missouri, I worried no one would be there for his deployment.

Even though I haven't seen him in years, I couldn't get it off my mind. I finally talked to his sister, and she confirmed what I suspected. No one had plans to be there. I told her I would go. It's a bit of a drive, but I am at least in the same state, and having the luxury of being at home through the week, I felt like I just needed to do this.

I made up my mind and even got directions. I was set. I told my mom what I was doing, and she thought that was so nice of me. I told her to tell her sister, his grandma, because I had a feeling if she knew I was going anyway, she might like to go. I was right.

By the end of the week, there were four of us adults decided to go, and Chloe of course.

He called me last night, and I have had the chance to communicate with him via text and he seemed so excited. It made me feel good that my one little decision and commitment to go see him sparked more family to jump in, and now, in two weeks, we will all travel north together.

I will get to see a cousin who is one of three who are so special to me. I will go to say goodbye, but look most forward to saying hello again. Hopefully we will make some memories and get some pictures and video to send to his family who couldn't be there. Doesn't it feel good when things fall into place and God lets you be part of something a little bigger than yourself? I sure think so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment