Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wherefore Art Thou, Jamey?

If you don't follow me on Facebook then you are not yet annoyed by my constant posts about Jamey Johnson. Yay for you!

It all started back in 2008 when I was working at Weaubleau. Somewhere during the year Wade decided to move from the opposite side of the room to the seat next to my desk. I really hadn't spoken to Wade before that, and had let him blend in quietly, being overpowered by the louder (more obnoxious) personalities in his class.

One day when they were doing their work, he asked if we could listen to "In Color" on my computer. I was always skeptical about student song choices, but when he told me I'd find it on CMT.com I figured it couldn't be too inappropriate.  We listened to it, and while the lyrics were very powerful, there was just something about the sound that I absolutely loved.

Fast forward more than a year. Bryan decided to buy That Lonesome Song, the album that had "In Color" on it. I immediately fell in love with "High Cost of Living," and I think we about wore that song out that weekend. As I listened more, I became more in love with every song on the album. His lyrics were honest. He wrote from a dark place in his life, and he didn't hide the things he had experienced. Pain, rebellion, love, poor decisions, and revenge.

His lighter songs were fun and up-beat, and I'm not going to lie. I love his accent. He says "Flaw-rid-uh" instead of "Floor-da." He has a slow, southern drawl that makes his voice even more amazing. I fell in love with him as an artist. He was my mowing buddy, my walking buddy, and my cleaning buddy.

A few weeks ago, his second album came out, a double-cd, and I bought it the day it came out. It's a little more redemptive than his first album, but it has some amazing songs on it as well. Songs that can make you feel your soul. I love it. I've been professing my love for him for months now, as you probably read (time and time again). "Oh Jamey, Oh Jamey, wherefore art thou, Jamey?" I've been dreaming about the day he would be close enough for me to at least road trip and see him live. Then, something remarkable happened.

A few days ago I told my friend Lindsay that her country icon, Jason Aldean, would be in Springfield next month. I mentioned that there probably weren't great seats left. Her mom commented on our post, telling me to check out ticket triangle, and that she had bought Lindsay tickets!

I checked out ticket triangle, and through that process found out that Jamey is going to be in KC next week. NEXT WEEK! Is that enough time to order tickets and plan to go? Would Bryan even TAKE me after months of professing my love for this musician?  The answer was yes!  We ordered tickets and will be headed that way next Thursday.

I've been to a LOT of concerts. I've seen Alan Jackson more times than I can count. I've seen Kenny Chesney, Deana Carter, Gary Allan (at the Bud Tent for FREE before he was big), the Beach Boys, and about every Christian band who was popular in the 90s. But NEVER have I been SO very excited to see someone live. I can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment