I remember sitting in my child psych class in college one morning when the teacher asked how many of us girls either had (or knew someone who had) ever had an eating disorder. Almost the entire class raised their hands. Then she asked how many of us had (or knew someone who had) been abused. Again, a majority of the hands went up. Then she asked how many of us had (or knew someone who had) been the victim of sexual misconduct. Again many hands went up.
The cynic in me wondered how many of the girls were TRUE victims of these things, and how many were over-exaggerating a situation in their lives to gain attention. Then again, I reminded myself about perspective and decided it didn't matter either way. Everyone has been hurt or mistreated at one time or another. Everyone has felt outcast at some time in her life. Everyone has felt a need to belong.
I happen to need a little real-life research for something I'm writing, and I would LOVE for you to leave me a comment here to help out. You don't have to sign in. You can remain anonymous. I don't track visitors or anything like that, so you're safe :)
So, if you would, answer one or all of the following questions, and be sure to correspond the number to your answer. Pretty please?
1. Tell me about a time you felt bullied, or just plain left-out. How did you deal with it?
2. Have you been a victim of abuse of any kind? Would you consider it mild, moderate, or severe? Elaborate if you'd like.
3. Have you ever been mean to someone just for fun? Did that person provoke you, or was it random?
4. Tell me something you've done to try to get attention (come on, we've ALL done it!)
5. What annoys you the most about other people's social behavior (ex. exaggerating situations, constant need for attention, people who are fake, people who are always sing-song happy, being calloused, cynical, etc.)?
Ok c'mon guys PLEASE give me some good stuff to work with here! You can also leave your comments on Facebook if you'd rather, or you can e-mail email@example.com.