Friday, March 16, 2012

So, Sue Me

How many times have you heard someone say, "So, sue me," in sarcasm? The first time I heard it I was just a kid, and I had no idea what it really even meant. It took me a few times to understand that it was sarcasm, and that people didn't *really* sue each other for silly reasons.
And those were the good old days.

The first really crazy law suit I was ever aware of was the infamous McDonald's coffee-in-the-lap law suit. I think that one really started the snowball rolling with people being awarded money over the most RIDICULOUS things.

There was a time in life when rational people would hear about one of these law suits and think, "No judge in America is going to take that seriously. He/she will be laughed out of court!"

But these days, rational people are forced to think, "Shoot. I hope my neighbor doesn't sue me over my dog pooping in his yard."

We don't talk about law suits around the house. It's not something we even say in jest, really, but Chloe has picked it up. I don't think she even understands what it means, but I had to laugh as she suggested it to me the other day.

We were shopping, and I was browsing the baby section. I was still looking for a "coming home" outfit for bebe, but not having a lot of luck.

"Ugh," I sighed. Everything cute and frilly is 0-3. Why can't they make them in newborn, too? The way things are looking, this won't be a very big baby," I said, more to myself than anyone. Then a little irritated voice chimed in.

"Ya really! Why dontcha just sue dem, mom?"

"Sue them?" I asked her.

"Ya. For not making the kind of baby clothes you need!"

And while it was hard to stifle a laugh at her oh-so-serious reaction to my problem, she made a point. Because somewhere in America there is probably a lawyer and a judge who would take time and money from serious business to hear a case of a pregnant lady who couldn't find a dress for her newborn. And somewhere a mad pregnant mama might be awarded enough money to clothe her child for life.

That's the society we live in, unfortunately. Sadly, my five year old is aware of it =/

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Unfortunately, this is all too true! When I pull through McDonald's and get coffee, I think of that woman EVERY time and seriously mutter to myself, "it's coffee dumbass-it's supposed to be hot!"

    ReplyDelete